Issues upgrading to SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 R2 SP1

After upgrading my test environment from SCCM 2012 R2 CU3 to SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 the other day I stumbled over broken PXE boot (PXE-E53: No boot filename received) and a bunch of error messages spread over a few logs. WDS service was up and running. Since neither updating my boot images nor re-installing WDS (see link #1 & 2) did help I took a closer look into the log files.

hman.log
Adding domain.local\sccmadmin to smsschm_users

***  IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals dp             JOIN sys.server_principals sp ON dp.sid=sp.sid AND dp.name=N’dbo’ AND sp.name=N’domain.local\sccmadmin’)  BEGIN      IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM master.sys.server_principals where name=N’domain.local\sccmadmin’)         CREATE LOGIN [domain.local\sccmadmin] FROM WINDOWS      IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals where name=N’domain.local\sccmadmin’)         CREATE USER [domain.local\sccmadmin]      EXEC sp_addrolemember N’smsschm_users’, N’domain.local\sccmadmin’ END

*** [42000][15401][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Windows NT user or group ‘domain.local\sccmadmin’ not found. Check the name again.

Failed to add RSP user.

Resolution:
RSP stands for „Reporting services point“ so I only had to check the Reporting services point properties. At that time domain.local\sccmadmin (full domain suffix) was set as Reporting Services Point Account. SQL though only accepted Windows logins in <NetBIOS-domain-name\user> format. So after changing the Reporting Services Point Account to domain\sccmadmin the error was gone.

 

Windows Server Event Viewer
Log Name: Application
Source: SMS Server
Event ID: 5436
Task Category: SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER

On 29.05.2015 21:53:32, component SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER on computer cm01.domain.local reported:  MP Control Manager detected management point is not responding to HTTP requests.  The HTTP status code and text is 500, Internal Server Error.

Possible cause: Management point encountered an error when connecting to SQL Server.
Solution: Verify that the SQL Server is properly configured to allow Management Point access. Verify that management point computer account or the Management Point Database Connection Account is a member of Management Point Role (msdbrole_MP) in the SQL Server database.

Possible cause:  The SQL Server Service Principal Names (SPNs) are not registered correctly in Active Directory
Solution:  Ensure SQL Server SPNs are correctly registered.  Review Q829868.

Possible cause: Internet Information Services (IIS) isn’t configured to listen on the ports over which the site is configured to communicate.
Solution: Verify that the designated Web Site is configured to use the same ports which the site is configured to use.

Possible cause: The designated Web Site is disabled in IIS.
Solution: Verify that the designated Web Site is enabled, and functioning properly.

Possible cause: The MP ISAPI Application Identity does not have the requisite logon privileges.
Solution: Verify that the account that the MP ISAPI is configured to run under has not been denied batch logon rights through group policy.

For more information, refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base article 838891.

Resolution:
As the message implies I had to verify the Management Point Role properties, where I changed the Connection Account from „Use the computer account of the management point“ to domain\sccmadmin.

Furthermore in SQL Management Studio I added domain\sccmadmin as a member of the CM site database role „smsdbrole_MP“.

 

SMSPXE.log
Prioritizing local MP http://cm01.domain.local.
RequestMPKeyInformation: Send() failed.
Failed to get information for MP: http://cm01.domain.local. 80004005.
reply has no message header marker
PXE::MP_LookupDevice failed; 0×80004005
Prioritizing local MP http://cm01.domain.local.
RequestMPKeyInformation: Send() failed.
Failed to get information for MP: http://cm01.domain.local. 80004005.
reply has no message header marker
Failed to send status message (80004005)
Failed to send the status message
PXE::MP_ReportStatus failed; 0×80004005
PXE Provider failed to process message.
Unknown error (Error: 80004005; Source: Unknown)

At the same time mpcontrol.log showed these errors:

Call to HttpSendRequestSync failed for port 80 with status code 500, text: Internal Server Error
Http test request failed, status code is 500, ‘Internal Server Error’.

Resolution:
Anoop’s post (see link #3) helped me to get on the right track. Checking IIS logs CCM_Incoming and CCM_system_windowsauth were doing fine (200). Only CCM_POST was giving me a /ccm_system/request – 80 – 192.168.130.52 ccmhttp – 500 0 0 125 195

After verifying that application pools CCM Server Framework Pool, CCM Windows Auth Server Framework Pool and SMS Management Point Pool were set correct (Enable 32-Bit Applications = False) I recycled the CCM Server Framework Pool. Ta-da! That did the trick.

After these issues were solved my OSD client booted into PXE and installed Windows quiet and smoothly.

Hope this helps.
Pascal

 

Helping links:
#1 Windows Noob
#2 Windows Noob (again :) )
#3 Anoop

Social tagging:

Hinterlasse eine Antwort

*


2 + = acht